It's crunch time (again!) - proposals to be voted on 14th Dec 2020
After not much happening this year suddenly, out-of-the-blue, Shropshire Council (SC) published an updated proposal for future swimming provision in Shrewsbury which is going to be voted on Monday 14th December 2020. The favoured option entails two 25m pools, one 4-lane training one situated at the current Quarry site and the other, 8-lane one, situated at Sundorne Sports Village (SSV), as well as a leisure pool at SSV and learner pool at the quarry.
Shropshire Council have created a cross-party member working group that has given the thumbs up to the favoured propsoal, however this working group did not have any representation from the Quarry Forum or any of the clubs and groups that use the current pool site, even though they promised to involve us at the beginning of the year. Also, we had no prior knowledge of the decision going to cabinet.
The Quarry Forum feels that a sensible sized pool needs to be built at the Quarry site as this provides the best public-transport access to everyone across Shrewsbury and Shropshire.
Various points we would like to know more about:
* The pool currently enjoys long opening hours, but people who rely on public transport won't be able to access the SSV site easily after 6pm.
* A single 25m x 4 lane pool won't meet the requirements of clubs and the public
* Taking business away from the town centre (many users go on to shop or visit cafes in town before/after their pool visit)
* What will be the phasing of the construction programmes?
* No floor plans published
* What are the economics of running two separate wet sites?