- Dec 14, 2020 Shropshire Council Cabinet meeting 14/12/20
- Dec 13, 2020 It's crunch time (again!) - proposals to be voted on 14th Dec 2020
- Feb 13, 2020 Wednesday's Cabinet Meeting outcome
- Feb 6, 2020 Two options proposed - single or split sites
- Aug 8, 2018 Decision delayed
- Mar 14, 2017 Spring Survey
- Jul 13, 2016 Shropshire Council beginning to listen?
- Jul 7, 2016 Council recommending move to Sundorne
Latest Campaign Update - December 2020
The latest proposals have been published by Shropshire Council (7/12/20) and will be voted on at the cabinet meeting on Monday 14th December 2020. Their favoured option is a split-site option with two 25m pools, one with four lanes at the existing Quarry Pool site together with a Spa, and another 8-lane 25m pool located up at Sundorne Sports Village. Unfortunately, this won't meet the current needs of the public or the clubs that presently use the swimming pools and will make access to all facilities via public transport much more limited.
Despite the council promising to consult with groups such as the Quarry Forum, this news came out of the blue for us all. There has been no consultation with us or any of the clubs that use the pools since Feb 2020 which is rather disappointing.
The Quarry Forum have submitted questions for the Council meeting on Monday and we hope we can get more engagement with the Council before they make a decision that we feel ultimately will be detrimental to the town, will offer less facilities for the numerous clubs and groups that use the existing baths, and make access for many users much more limited.
- New proposals for Swimming in Shrewsbury to be presented to Cabinet (Shropshire Council, 7/12/2020)
- Town could live to regret moving swimming from the quarry baths (Shropshire Star, 7/12/2020)
- BBC Radio Shropshire coverage (8/12/2020). SKip to 1:21:00.
What's at Stake?
Significant loss of swimming facilities from the heart of Shrewsbury.
The majority of the people of Shrewsbury (68% according to the Council's survey) want the swimming pool to be kept at the heart of the Town Centre. Town businesses, the Town Council and other organisations are all in favour of this too. Until recently, Shropshire Council have their own ideas and and had simply ignored the public and businesses and instead proposed to move it out of town up to Sundorne. We all believe that would make it harder for the majority of people to get to and we simply did not believe the Council's figures and justification for that move. We pressed them hard to get a proper independent cost-benefit analysis done but kept hitting a brick wall.
However, thanks to this campaign, we managed to delay the Council's decision, get the Town Council and BID on board and have now finally got the Council to listen.
Who Are We?
This website is run by the Quarry Swimming and Fitness Forum. We are a group of users and supports of the Quarry Swimming and Fitness Centre, set up to campaign for keeping the swimming baths in the centre of town where it is most accessible. In addition to a lot of discussions with the Council and other groups we have also ran two very well supported protest marches through the town. Our campaign has also been covered by BBC Midlands, BBC Radio Shropshire, Shropshire Star amongst others. You can also find us on Facebook and Twitter.
We need your help!
The Council are discussing the future plans for the QSFC on the 12th February 2020. This is a public meeting held at Shirehall starting at 11am so we want as many supporters to come along to show how strong we feel about keeping a suitable swimming facility in the town centre.
- Love the central location?
- Want to keep a vibrant town centre with a successful leisure and community hub?
- Want easy transport links to the centre?
- Keep things like the flume, diving boards and relaxation suite?