Council voted on move
Shropshire Council have voted in principle to move the pool up to Sundorne. Not great, however they have agreed to effectively defer the final decision for 12 months in order to give other groups such as the Town Council, BID and Quarry Forum time to come up with alternative proposals for keeping the pool in town.
The Quarry Forum will continue to work with interested parties and other stakeholders to keep the pool in town. We have 12 months to prepare and submit a business plan. In the meantime the Quarry Centre will remain as normal.Register your support
- Jul 13, 2016 Shropshire Council beginning to listen?
- Jul 7, 2016 Council recommending move to Sundorne
- Jul 6, 2016 Council report due Thursday which will go to Cabinet on 13th July
- Jul 4, 2016 Successful March Through Town
- Jun 30, 2016 Pool Consultation Analysis Infographic
- Jun 29, 2016 Shrewsbury Town Council offer their support
- Jun 18, 2016 Public Rally 2nd July
- Jun 14, 2016 Decision on pool location due 13th July
What's at Stake?
Loss of the swimming pool and fitness centre from the heart of Shrewsbury.
The majority of the people of Shrewsbury (68% according to the Council's survey) want the swimming pool to be kept at the heart of the Town Centre. town businesses, the Town Council and other organisations are all in favour of this too. Unfortunately, Shropshire Council have their own ideas and and have simply ignored the public and business and instead proposed to move it out of town up to Sundorne. We all believe this makes it harder for the majority of people to get to and simply do not believe the Council's figures and would like a proper independent cost-benefit analysis done.
Who Are We?
This website is run by the Quarry Swimming and Fitness Forum. We are a group of users and supports of the Quarry Swimming and Fitness Centre, set up to campaign for keeping the swimming baths in the centre of town where it is most accessible. In addition to a lot of discussions with the Council and other groups we have also ran two very well supported protest marches through the town. Our campaign has also been covered by BBC Midlands, BBC Radio Shropshire, Shropshire Star amongst others. You can also find us on Facebook and Twitter.
We need your help!
Although the Council, on the 13th July 2016, voted in principle for the pool to be moved out of the town centre, they have given other groups 12 months to come up with suitable proposals for keeping the pool in town. This will involve making a business plan. If you would like to help the please fill in our supporters form.
- Love the central location?
- Want to keep a vibrant town centre with a successful leisure and community hub?
- Want easy transport links to the centre?
- Keep things like the flume, diving boards and relaxation suite?